Plain text version:
HM Queen Elizabeth II
At the start of September, HM Queen Elizabeth II passed away and the UK entered a period of mourning. I spoke in the House of Commons the Saturday following her death to pay tribute to her service on behalf of constituents in Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough. I recalled HM The Queen’s visit to Sheffield when she opened the Millennium Gallery and the subsequent search across the city for Dubonnet.
Doncaster Sheffield Airport
Peel, the current owners of Doncaster Sheffield Airport, have indicated they will close the airport at the end of the month. This is despite credible interest to take over.
I continue to work with, and support, South Yorkshire Mayor Oliver Coppard and colleagues in Doncaster. As part of this approach, I joined Labour MPs from across South Yorkshire to write to the Secretary of State for Transport to call on her to use the Civil Contingencies Act 2014 to keep the airport open. The Government have every power to do this and to help save the airport.
This would allow time for the credible interest in taking the airport over from Peel.
Bus Service Changes
Recent changes to bus services have left communities in our constituency with no bus service or very inferior replacement services. I have been very concerned by these changes and wrote to First Bus’s Managing Director for Sheffield to voice these concerns and ask for a meeting. Unfortunately, my request for a meeting was initially not acknowledged, however I now have a meeting organised. As the MP for Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough it is important I have an opportunity to express the worries and concerns of many residents in our area.
Under our current system, only the bus companies can decide to re-extend services. I want to assure residents across Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough that I understand their concerns and I will keep at this, as long as it takes.
Sheffield Labour are running a petition on bus cuts, calling for greater Government funding to Stop Tory Bus Cuts. sign the petition at stoptorybuscuts.com
Labour Conference Special Update
In September, Labour Party Conference met in Liverpool to share our vision for the country. Labour has proven it is a government in waiting and the only alternative to the disastrous Tory government. Labour will deliver a fairer, greener future for Britain. Here are some of the policies that were announced at conference earlier this month:
- Labour will re-nationalise train companies, ending the cycle of declining services.
- Labour will support local authorities who want to take control of bus services.
- Labour will create an ‘Elizabeth Line for the North’, connecting key Northern cities.
- Bring down NHS waiting times as a matter of urgency.
- Undertaking the biggest recruitment of the NHS workforce in history.
- Prioritise mental health services and put in place targets for care.
Energy / Net-Zero
- We will end our dependency on fossil fuels by 2030.
- We will triple onshore wind and solar power, and quadruple offshore wind, tidal, nuclear and hydrogen power.
- Create ‘Great British Energy’ a publicly owned clean energy generator.
- Introduce breakfast clubs for every primary school child in England.
- Build more houses, with a target of 70% home ownership, and support young people.
- Prioritise good quality council house building, easing pressure on long waiting lists.