Many families across Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough will be very worried about the cost of living crisis. Energy bills are already much higher and are set to rise again in October. I have collected information about agencies, organisations and charities who might be able to help you during this difficult time.

Labour has a plan to fix the energy price crisis, you can find out more by visiting the Labour Party website.

Page contents:

  1. Support with Energy Bills
  2. Support for Households
  3. Support for Businesses
  4. General Support and Advice
  5. Support for Families

With thanks for information courtesy of Sheffield City Council, Citizens Advice Bureau, StepChange, and Age UK.

Welcome Places

The cost of living crisis is impacting everyone in different ways and in response, the council, voluntary and community organisations have created additional advice and support for anyone facing financial hardship in the city.

‘Welcome Places’ are open across Sheffield and many of them, such as libraries, were already established places where people could spend time, have a chat, find out information or get support.

Welcome Spaces in, and nearby, Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough

Burngreave Ward

  • Agency for Culture and Change (ACCM) – All Saints Youth Centre, 7 Lyons Close, Sheffield, S4 7EP
  • Aspiring communities together – Firvale Centre, Earl Marshall Road, Sheffield, S4 8LB
  • Burngreave Library – Sorby House, 42 Spital Hill, Sheffield, S4 7LG
  • The Furnival – The Furnival Community Hub, 195 Verdon Street, Sheffield, S3 9QQ
  • Pitsmoor Adventure Playground – Corner of Melrose Road and Burngreave Street, Sheffield, S3 9DN

Firth Park Ward

  • First Start Family Centre – 441 Firth Park Road, Sheffield, S5 6HH
  • Firth Park Library – 443 Firth Park Road, Sheffield, S5 6QQ
  • Southey Library – Moonshine Lane, Sheffield, S5 8RB

Hillsborough Ward

  • Community Room, Middlewood Nature Nursery – 109 Winn Grove, Sheffield, S6 1UN
  • Hillsborough Leisure Centre – Beulah Road, Sheffield, S6 2AN
  • Hillsborough Library – Hillsborough Park, Middlewood Road, Sheffield, S6 4HD
  • Hillsborough Trinity Methodist Church – 221-229 Middlewood Road, Sheffield, S6 4HE
  • St John the Baptist, Owlerton – Penistone Road, Sheffield, S6 2DF

Southey Ward

  • Early Days Family Centre – 71 Palgrave Road, Sheffield, S5 8GS
  • Parson Cross Library – 320 Wordsworth Avenue, Sheffield, S5 8NL

Shiregreen and Brightside Ward

  • Concord Sports Centre – Shiregreen Lane, S5 6AE

Near our constituency

  • Burton Street Foundation – 57 Burton Street, Sheffield, S6 2HH
  • Ecclesfield Library – High Street, Sheffield, S35 9UA

Find your nearest Welcome Place or Community Hub on the Sheffield VAS website, just click here.

Published September 2022.

Banner reading
Banner reading 'Support with Energy Bills.

Support with Energy Bills

If you are struggling to pay your energy bill, you should talk to your supplier as soon as possible. Remember that many call centre workers are likely to be experiencing the same pressures and will be working very hard to talk to as many customers as possible.

  • Your energy supplier will have a ‘Priority Services Register‘ which provides support to vulnerable people including those with a mental health condition or children under five. If you are eligible, you should register for this service.
  • The Government has published a ‘Simple Energy Advice‘ webpage, including a calculator to provide personalised advice on reducing energy bills.
  • Energy Saving Trust has advice on how to save money on your energy bills.
  • National Energy Action (NEA) provides one-to-one advice, support and grants for vulnerable and low-income households. They have grants for customers on pre-pay meters and on low-incomes or benefits.
  • If you are struggling to pay your water bill, you can find information about support from Yorkshire Water.
Banner reading
Banner reading 'Support for Households'.

Support for Households

  • If you are a council or housing association tenant and struggling to pay your rent, you should speak to your housing officer as early as possible. Council tenants may be able to make an arrangement about their debt over a long period of time.
  • Private rented tenants struggling to pay or at risk of homelessness should contact Sheffield City Council Housing Solutions Team on 0114 273 6306.
  • If you are of pension age, you may be eligible to claim Housing Benefit
  • People of pension age may also be able to claim Pension Credit, lots of eligible people are missing out and it could pay to check.
  • If you are worrying about paying your rent or mortgage, you can find information on Shelter’s website or via their freephone line (0808 800 4444). You can also contact Shelter’s Sheffield office on 0344 515 1515 or email
Banner reading
Banner reading 'Support for Businesses'

Support for Businesses

There is currently no announcement on support for businesses from central Government. I am working closely with Labour colleagues in Parliament to raise concerns about small and medium sized businesses. As more information becomes available this page will be updated.

  • South Yorkshire Community Foundation has set up a Cost of Living fund, this will soo be available to provide grants for organisations such as food banks that are supporting local people with the cost of living crisis.


Banner reading
Banner reading 'General Support and Advice'

General Support and Advice

Are you of pension age?

You may be eligible for a payment to help with the cost of living if you are receiving certain benefits or tax credits. If you’re eligible the payment will be automatic. Depending on your circumstances you could get three payments, a Cost of Living Payment (if you get a qualifying low income benefit or tax credits), a Disability Cost of Living Payment (if you’re getting a qualifying disability benefit), a Pensioner Cost of Living Payment (if you’re eligible for Winter Fuel Payments for Winter 2022/23).

If you’re unsure what you’re entitled to please contact Age UK Sheffield’s free Information and Advice Service on 0114 250 2850 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm) or email

Banner reading
Banner reading 'Support for Families'

Support for Families

There are new rules surrounding school uniform from September, every school must (1) list affordable options on their website, (2) keep branded items to a minimum, and (3) set up sustainable swap shops. If you need help with school uniform, talk to your children’s school.

Expecting a child

If you are expecting a child through birth or adoption, you may be eligible for Statutory Adoption Pay, Statutory Maternity Pay, Statutory Paternity Pay, Statutory Shared Parental Leave and Pay, or Maternity Allowance. To find out more about these, visit Turn2Us’ webpage.


Bringing up a child

There are several benefits that people bringing up a child may be entitled to, including Child Benefit, Universal Credit, Child Tax Credit, Guardian’s Allowance. You can check your eligibility using the Turn2Us Benefit Calculator.

You could also be entitled to Health Start Food Vouchers if you are at least ten weeks pregnant, or have a child under four and are getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Child Tax Credit (if your family’s income is £16,190 or less, but not Working Tax Credits), Universal Credit, or Pension Credit.

You can also search on the Turn2Us Grants Search tool to look for grants you may be eligible for.

Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search